Saturday, February 26, 2011

No Pin Curl Mojo

Ok I admit it I don't set my hair routinely.  I am a busy working mom and the last thing on my mind before I go to bed is setting my hair so most days I just pin my sides back but on weekends I usually will set my hair.  Well lately in these dark cold days of winter I haven't even been doing that.  So on these bleak no set days when I have a bit more time in the morning I sometimes use my hot sticks.  If you aren't familiar with hot sticks I find them to be a god send as they are as close to a pin curl set as you are going to find with a dry set.  I think I bought mine at Walmart for about $15.

So here is how I use them.  I spray them with a thermal spray then roll them in my hair using end wraps as I found that with out the end wraps my ends were too sloppy.  First I let them heat up for 15 to 20 minutes.  I roll them all under using mostly pink smaller rods in front although I will alternate some larger orange in for variety.



 Leave them on for about 20 minutes more perhaps put on my make up or pick up the house.  Then unroll and brush out and spray. 




For other another good idea of what to do on a no mojo pin curl day here is link to the lovely Ms Lina at Spiffing Sporadics of a Vintage Girl.

Also the lovely Fleur of Diary of a Vintage Girl has done a tutorial on using the hot sticks which is how I found out about them Fleurs hot sticks tutorials.  She has some other tutorials on her blog too so please check it out.

9 comments:

  1. Looks great!!!

    I only ever really use hot curlers, fortunately I have a set that's really old & they are all small ones, which is good and rare they usually come in several sizes. I know one day they will break & I will then have to get hot sticks! Now my hairs longer I don't set every day I'm a pony tail kinda gal, when it's shorter I set it one day and it stays set until I wash it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So need to make my hair look better, thanks for tips.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking fabulous!! do you find that it lasts well through the day? I've never tried hot sticks.. maybe I should give it a whirl! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lina Sofia for me it depends on the humidity in winter when its dry it works. In the summer if its 90 and humid forget it but then even a wet set will fail and best to just put it up then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought those and have only used them once, i hope to achieve as good of a result as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vintage revival I found the end wraps really helped a lot. I have heard others complain of the messiness of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I love the way it curls around the front. I haven't used hot sticks before. Will look out for a cheap set. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm your fan n º 51, so you far surpassed, he he.
    I love to pin curl too, but I have the same problem as you, the time. So also the weekends it's possible only. Thanks for tips.

    ReplyDelete